The Trouble With Geniuses Parts I & II
The first part of the section deals with the idea that IQ matters to a certain point, such as height in the NBA. The second part of the section deals with the idea of self-entitlement being necessary for extremely gifted people to make it in this world. Gifted kids to learn how to "strong arm" their way to get their necessary needs. Gladwell says that poor children aren't taught this skill like the children of middle-class and above parents. I think that this skill now-a-days can be learned by simply watching television. Any kids show these days have child stars that constantly talk back to their parents. People are always saying kids pick up on violence from TV, so why couldn't they pick up that assertiveness as well? The sense of entitlement will still have a gap considering the amount of personal belongings a child has, but I would argue that it isn't as impossible as Gladwell says for poor kids to learn the savvy required to be successful.
TOTAL READING TIME: 40 hr.
Page: 117
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment