Sunday, March 7, 2010

Outliers: Conclusion

Legacy
The second half of the book is about the importance of cultural legacies. It's a good point that he makes, but it is also a potentially dangerous when people start stereotyping, which he says in the book. There is obviously a lot of truth behind the importance of cultural legacy. I thought the American summer vacations from school was an interesting topic. I think it's pretty interesting that no one ever discusses that, or at least if they do, they don't get much media coverage about the idea (or maybe I'm just not seeing the coverage). I personally, along with most students I'd assume, wouldn't want to deal with the work load of the KIPP school mentioned in the book. However, I agree with the idea that longer school days would help with understanding subjects, especially math. The kids that don't like math or aren't good at it are the ones that don't take the required time to fully comprehend the ideas. Not many students do there homework outisde of school, especially when they're parents don't pay much attention to theiur school work. Laziness is the primary reason most kids are doing poorly in math. The lack of parental guidance compounds the problem.
I enjoyed reading this book. The author does a good job at sticking to one point and driving it home with stories and intriguing statistics. I'll probably end up reading The Tipping Point soon

TOTAL READING TIME: 44 hr.

Page: Complete 285 Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment