Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Who Speaks For God?

The first chapter of the book speaks a lot about the Religious Right or the Christian Coalition. It's not surprising that a political group would try to benefit from the strong faith that many Christians have. It's hard to say whether the leaders of this group were knowingly trying to profit off of the "God bump", or if they truly believe that their policy would please God. It is harder to argue in favor of the latter because of the definite contradictions between their policies and the Bible. Of course some people can become so ingrained in their beliefs that it is almost impossible to see things differently, such as in the case of prejudice. It just seems unlikely that a group that supposedly promotes the importance of biblical morals in today's policies would ignore the Bible for policies. The book does make it clear that most Christians have recognized this and don't follow the coalition. It seems reasonable that each person should judge each issue on their own moral code. It also seems ignorant to blindly agree with one side of the political spectrum unanimously. There may be some Democratic policies about issues I'm not very informed on that I'd agree with over the Republican side. Of course, things like abortion and gay marriage are specifically mentioned in the Bible, so my view on those topics lay on the Republican side.

How I Feel About This Project: I think it's a pretty good project. I've started to enjoy reading more than I have in the past. The project gives me an incentive to read, and hopefully I will exhibit a behavioral change and the incentive will no longer be needed (as is your goal). I also think it's good to write about what you read to comprehend it more and receive more insight since you're forced to reflect on what you just read. I think if you do the project faithfully, it will be very productive.

TOTAL READING TIME: 33 hr.

Page: 41

No comments:

Post a Comment