Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Social Animal

I finished up chapter five
Chapter five dealt with human aggression. The author first discussed whether aggression was an instinctive trait or a learned trait. There isn't a concise answer given, only that there is controversy about the topic. Then he talks about frustration being one of the main causes of aggression. He also explains how social learning can alter when aggression occurs. If someone accidentally frustrates you, you won't get as aggressive, opposed to someone you know or think did it purposely. Then he asks if aggression is necessary, going into the "survival of the fittest" idea; no real answer is given. He also talks about three possible ways to reduce aggression:
  1. Constructive ways of "blowing off steam" (sports, weight lifting, such n such) -It was found that although it may give relief, this way doesn't really reduce aggression. {I disagree with this, if I didn't lift weights i think I'd be much more aggressive}
  2. Fantasy (imagining yourself getting revenge n what not) - This way was found to be somewhat successful in reducing aggression.
  3. Lettin loose (verbally or physically expressing full aggression) - The idea of the is it will "get it out of your system", but it was found that those who do this or more likely to hurt the same person again in the future. The cognitive- dissonance theory says that if someone hurts another person, he is likely to make himself dislike the person he hurt more.

I was a little disappointed with this chapter cuz I was hoping to learn more interesting stuff about actual anger and such, o well.

TOTAL READING TIME: 7 hr.

Page: 174

No comments:

Post a Comment